Thursday, June 2, 2016

Sunscreen woes

It's so hard to find a sunscreen that is fragrance free and propylene glycol free. I thought I had found something that would work, but it ended up irritating the rash on the palm of my hand and made my forearms itchy, albeit after 3 days of use over Memorial Day weekend.
I ordered some Vanicream SPF 30 sunscreen that arrived yesterday. I am patch testing it on my shoulder to make sure it's not going to cause irritation, and I'm on day 2. I should know in 3-4 more days if this is going to work for me.
Even though I have a potential solution, I have gone out and bought 3-4 cotton and linen shirts that are at least 3/4 sleeve to keep the sun off of me when I'm outside with the kids or for several days in a row. I'm hoping they will be enough to protect me from the sun without making me too hot while I'm chasing little ones around the playground.
I have been treating the areas that are broken out on my hands and arms with a TCS 2x per day and they seem to be clearing up, which is encouraging. The TCS I'm using has propylene glycol in it, but the PG free cream my dermatologist prescribed is too expensive for me to afford right now. As long as my rash continues to appear to improve, I'll keep using it. If things get worse, I will have to pony up the $300 for the other cream, I guess :( I'm really hoping, between cutting BOP out of my diet as best I can and using BOP-free personal care products, that the rash will clear up without having to spend $300 for a new cream. I hope that's not too optimistic :-x

No comments:

Post a Comment