Tuesday, May 31, 2016

About my diagnoses

I have always suffered from seasonal allergies. A stuffy nose and watery eyes are all the allergy-related discomfort I've ever suffered for the last 30 years. I can control seasonal allergies with regular over the counter allergy medicines (like zyrtec or allegra).
Back in February, I had my first bout with what I thought was some kind of food allergy. My face got tingly, I was nauseous, and I broke out in hives all over my body. I had this reaction 3 times, and then wound up seeing an allergist. They tested me for all common food allergies, which I did not react to. But I did find out I have a dust mite allergy in addition to seasonal allergies.
Eventually, I figured out that Ibuprofen was the common link between all my reactions and I stopped using it. Since there's no test for an allergy to Ibuprofen, I carry epipens (which cost a ridiculous amount of money because they're still under patent), benadryl, and my own tylenol so I don't have to risk asking others for pain medication if I get a headache while away from home.
Then, shortly after Easter, I developed some dry, rough, red patches on my hand and forearm, which led me to see a dermatologist. A biopsy was done and they determined I had allergic contact dermatitis. A couple of weeks later, I had a patch test done. I had no idea what was causing my skin to react, but I took in some materials from home for them to include in their patch test: shampoo, conditioner, soap, hairspray, and fabric softener. 
Four days later, the dermatologist read off a list of things I reacted to. Nickel, cobalt, propylene glycol, and balsam of peru (a widely used fragrance/preservative/flavoring). I also reacted to my shampoo, soap, and fabric softener. The next words out of her mouth were, "This is going to be hard for you." She talked through what to avoid and gave me a new prescription for a topical corticosteroid, then scheduled a follow-up in 2 months. 
I've spent the last 2 weeks in tears and frustration, trying to find products that will not cause my skin to react, and then found out that my new medication costs $300 after insurance. It is very hard to find personal care products that have no propylene glycol or fragrance. Finding makeup without ANY of those allergens is near impossible. If I want to try something new, I will have to conduct my own informal patch test (applying the new product to my arm in the same place for 5-7 days. If I don't react, it's safe. If I do react, I've wasted my money.

Since my patch test, I've switched my laundry detergent to All Free & Clear, my soap and body lotion to Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming. I do not react to my deodorant, so I haven't changed that. I'm still trying to find a shampoo that does not irritate my scalp. Earth Science Pure Essentials Fragrance Free shampoo and conditioner is fine, but doesn't help clear up the dry patches on my scalp. I am putting it aside to use later and switching to Exederm shampoo and conditioner to try and get my scalp under control. I have not had any new reactions, but I am also not able to clear up my current patches. The original patch on the back of my hand that had gone away with a topical corticosteroid is now trying to reoccur. And I have little bumps (they are not red or itchy, so who knows if they're a reaction or I'm just over thinking things) on my forearms that could be from the sunscreen I was using over the weekend. So I've ordered Vanicream Sunscreen SPF 30 and will give that a try since it has good reviews from people with similar allergies to mine.

Right now, I'm just very frustrated. I don't know why my immune system, which has served me well so far, has gone nuts over the last few months. I want an immediate cure, but logically know that it's not likely I'll find anything that works right away. I will be the last person to claim that I'm patient. I am not patient. I hate waiting, especially when I'm itchy all over and just want relief. I keep hoping that, somewhere down the line I will be told that the doctor was wrong and that this is something I can take a shot or a pill to fix. But that's denial talking, and I'm coming around to the idea that this is just something I will have to learn to live with. If people can fight cancer and win, can lose a leg and still run, then I can find my resolve and learn to live with my allergies. 

I'm hoping to use this blog as an outlet and a resource for organizing information I find online. I'm also hoping to keep a list of products that do not set off my allergies as a resource for others. No one reacts the same way, so any list like mine found online is merely a list of things to try. 

Wish me luck. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jessie. I'm one of the admins of the Facebook group "Balsam of Peru and Fragrance Contact Allergy" (URL below). You may have found us already, but if not, I hope you'll join. And please feel free to contact me via Facebook PM. I can point you to other helpful FB groups for contact allergy. -- Jan Hoverman Stanley
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/284324351616200/

    ReplyDelete